- guaranteed four-year scholarships
- a return to school program for athletes who do not graduate
- liberalized intra-conference transfer rules
- enhanced medical coverage for current and former athletes
- increased athlete representation at PAC-12 meetings
The changes voted on by Pac-12 presidents and chancellors appear to be the most progressive package put forward by a conference, although they are measures that could have previously been adopted by schools or conferences. The changes come at a time when the Power 5 conferences have the autonomy to vote on and create their own benefits as college sports faces ongoing litigation threats over how athletes are treated and compensated.
The PAC-12’s reforms come in the wake of some Division I schools providing increased benefits, such as guaranteed scholarships. I personally would like to see more changes to transfer rules, along the lines of my proposal in 2012.