Over the course of the last few months Maryland, South Carolina and Indiana have announced that they will offer guaranteed scholarships to certain student-athletes. Although other schools have yet to announce their plans, every Division I recruit and current Division I athlete should use this opportunity to ask whether their scholarship offer, or scholarship, will now be guaranteed. The details of these programs are likely to vary among schools. Accordingly, a recruit should ask for all of the details in writing and should ask the following questions:
- What is the scholarship guaranteed against – injury, sub par performance, coaching changes, leaving school to play professionally, etc.?
- Does the guaranty include a 5th year, if needed to graduate?
- Under what circumstances can the school take away the scholarship?
- Does the acceptance of a guaranteed scholarship the ability to transfer?
- And if recruited by a school that does not offer a guaranteed scholarship, a recruit should ask why not!