NCAA transfer rules are in need of reform. But given the current situation, how can a recruit avoid potential issues should he or she wish to transfer at a later date?
Ask every coach and athletic director about the school’s policy concerning transfers. Here are some suggested questions:
- Will the coach and athletic director commit to providing a release if you decide to seek a transfer? (This is not unheard of – SMU football coach June Jones reportedly handles transfers this way).
- Will the coach and athletic director allow you to transfer to any school or only certain schools?
- If the coach and/or athletic director leave the school, will the school keep any promises that it makes to you?
- Will the coach and/or athletic director provide you with the transfer policy and any promises regarding the transfer policy in writing?
- If the school is located in California or Connecticut, ask to see the Student-Athlete’s Right to Know disclosure.