I am pleased to announce that I will be a panelist at the upcoming Harvard Sports Law Symposium that will be held on March 25. I will be participating on the athlete-agent panel. The symposium features some truly impressive figures from sports law and sports business and promises to be an informative and enjoyable for sports industry professionals as well and those looking to break into the industry.
Dave Kiefer and Xander Marcus, co-chairs of Harvard’s Sports Law Symposium, have done an excellent job putting together this event.
The details for the Symposium are as follows:
HARVARD’S SPORTS LAW SYMPOSIUM
Harvard’s Committee on Sports and Entertainment Law will host its 2011 Sports Law Symposium on Friday, March 25th from 9:30am to 6:30pm in Austin Hall on the campus of Harvard Law School.
The symposium will focus on the legal and business issues surrounding intercollegiate athletics, and the overarching theme of the symposium is “The Changing Face of Intercollegiate Athletics: Amateurs, Academics, and the Athletic Arms Race.”
The symposium will feature five panels, a lunch presentation from the Sports Legacy Institute, and a Keynote Speech from Sonny Vaccaro, “The Godfather of Grassroots Basketball”. Vaccaro is a former sports marketing executive (he signed Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant to their first shoe deals) and pioneer on the summer basketball circuit (he founded the ABCD Summer Camp). In his second career, Vaccaro has become an advocate for student-athletes in an effort to change the NCAA’s treatment of student-athletes. Vaccaro currently serves as a consultant for the plaintiffs in O’Bannon v. NCAA, a class action lawsuit with the potential to radically alter the college sports landscape.
The event is free and open to the public.
|9:00 – 9:30 am||CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST||Ames Courtroom|
|9:30 – 10:40 am||AMATEURISM PANEL||Ames Courtroom|
|10:50 am – 12:00 pm||CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT PANEL||Ames Courtroom|
|12:00 – 1:00 pm||SPORTS LEGACY INSTITUTE LUNCH PANEL||Ames Courtroom|
|1:10 – 2:20 pm||ATHLETE-AGENT PANEL||Austin West|
|2:30 – 3:40 pm||LITIGATING AGAINST THE NCAA PANEL||Austin West|
|3:50 – 5:00 pm||THE BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES PANEL||Austin West|
|5:00 – 6:15 pm||KEYNOTE SPEAKER: SONNY VACCARO||Austin West|
|6:30 – 8:00 pm||SYMPOSIUM RECEPTION||Harkness Commons, Second Floor Dining Room|
PANEL #1 – AMATEURISM PANEL
- TIME: 9:30-10:40am (Ames Courtroom)
- PANELISTS: Roger Abrams (Northeastern University Law School), Jeremy Bloom (World Champion Skier), Christian Dennie (Barlow, Garsek & Simon LLP), Paul Haagen (Duke University), Michael McCann (Vermont Law School and SI.com), John Nichols (Penn State University and Co-Chair of the Coalition on Intercollegiate Athletics)
PANEL #2 – CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT PANEL
- TIME: 10:50am-12:00pm
- PANELISTS: Greg Byrne (Athletics Director, University of Arizona), Kristi Dosh (Taylor English Duma LLP and Forbes.com), Patti Ohlendorf (VP of Legal Affairs for the University of Texas at Austin), Patrick Rishe (Webster University and Forbes.com), Jason Russell (Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, & Flom), Glenn Wong (UMass Isenberg School of Management)
SPORTS LEGACY INSTITUTE LUNCHEON
- TIME: 12:00-1:00pm
- PANELISTS: Dave Bergeron (Stanford University, NFL) Peter Carfagna (Harvard Law School), Matt Henshon (Princeton University, Harvard Law School), Isaiah Kacyvenski (Harvard College, NFL), Pete Kendall (Boston College, NFL), Chris Nowinski (Harvard College, WWE, SLI President and CEO), Dave Zucker (Harvard Law School)
PANEL #3 – ATHLETE-AGENT PANEL
- TIME: 1:10-2:20pm
- PANELISTS: Peter Carfagna (Harvard Law School), David Cornwell (DNK Cornwell), David Dunn (Athletes First), Dan Fitzgerald (Brody Wilkinson PC, Connecticut Sports Law Blog), Jason Levien (Agent and Former General Counsel, Senior Vice President and Assistant General Manager of the Sacramento Kings), Mike Zarren (Assistant General Manager of the Boston Celtics), Warren Zola (Boston College)
PANEL #4 – LITIGATING AGAINST THE NCAA – O’BANNON/KELLER/AGNEW LAWSUITS
- TIME: 2:30-3:40pm
- PANELISTS: Gabe Feldman (Tulane University Law School), Rick Karcher (Florida Coastal School of Law), Ron Katz (Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP), Jon King (Hausfeld LLP), Ed O’Bannon (Former NCAA Men’s Basketball Player and Lead Plaintiff in O’Bannon v. NCAA), Libby Sander (Chronicle of Higher Education)
PANEL #5 – BCS PANEL
- TIME: 3:50-5:00pm
- PANELISTS: Marc Edelman (Barry University’s Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law), Brian Frederick (Sports Fan Coalition), Alan Fishel (Arent Fox), Nathaniel Grow (University of Georgia), Stephen Ross (Penn State University Law School), Mark Shurtleff (Utah Attorney General), Katie Thomas (New York Times)